Thursday, April 05, 2007

Second Moon Rising


Giles Morris does a little write up about Second Moon on his blog.

I had forgotten that he interviewed me for this write up. He had asked my why I wanted to do a "serious farce." I had forgotten I had said the following:

I'm a very serious guy and sometimes it makes people crack up. The more serious something is, the more tragic, the more funny it has to be. I didn't study how to make farce, I just thought about it in terms of the rhythm and pacing of the movie. You do a serious scene, then you need a funny one, something with out of nowhere humor. It's a reflection of how I am.

Other highlights from his write up include:

Perhaps the greatest success of his film is that it creates a lush and coherent visual language that is its own, but Kubrick's influence is clear enough in the slow, uneasy pacing, the way sound and vision heighten the character drama so that the audience feels the rank tension of cheating in their shoulders.

The real miracle of Second Moon is that it is at one time incredibly thought provoking and also ridiculous. It is absurd and also conventional.

A pretty good review if you ask me. Read the full review here.

No comments: